In 1865 the desire to build a place of worship was borne in the heart of Rev. Cyrus Carter and the Freedmen of Lincolnville, Virginia. Freedmen arrived in Northern Virginia shortly after the Civil War and purchased land deemed undesirable by the union soldiers. The Freedmen cleared the uncultivated land with their own hands, built farmhouses and established livelihood for their families.
Families congregated from house to house to conduct prayer and praise services and the need to have a place of worship became a priority. In 1866 a dedicated body of faithful believers purchased an acre of property from Rev. Cyrus Carter upon which they would build the church. Rev. Carter also donated an acre of land to be used as the church cemetery.
The First Baptist Church Chesterbrook was organized on August 15th, 1866 on December 1, 1866; the property was recorded at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax, Virginia. A new addition was constructed in 1949 to house a pastors study, choir loft, choir room, and baptismal pool.
First Baptist Church Chesterbrook continues to grow and to change but the mission of the church of winning souls to Christ remains the same. We are proud of our heritage and how far the Lord has brought us. We look forward to where the Lord will take us to under the direction of our pastor. We are devoted to the Lord and committed to walking hand in hand with Him daily as we become Disciples who walk with God, each other, and are impacting the world with the message of Gods Kingdom.